viernes, 18 de octubre de 2013

My reading map




 

 

I am here again! This time I have chosen an exercise to talk about. I know it is not a big topic, and also it is not something that everybody probably know.

What could you imagine if I only say “Reading map”? Very easy, isn’t it? As you are thinking it is a map, the map you like the most or the map you are able to understand. And the word “reading” is easier because you don’t need to think more than the real definition and we both know what reading is. Well, obviously I didn’t want you to think only about those meanings, I want to explain you my experience making a reading map to facilitate you the understanding of what is it, what is used for, when you can do it and how.

I have done only one and my first impressions about this exercise were not good at all. I thought that I didn’t remember what books I liked when I was a child, and even when I was 15. Also, I am very bad drawing and I am not original… So, I knew that it was to be very difficult for me to complete the task. But I tried the best I could.

What you have to do is two documents thinking about your whole reading life, since you were a child until now, and trying to draw or make a collage with all of the books and the stages in which you read that. And finally, you need to explain in another paper what you have done and why. After telling you the characteristics of a reading map I am going to explain you why I think is a very good material to do with children.

It is an open task where teacher can develop the rules depending of the level or age of children. Logically, if you are a teacher of Fourth of Primary you will know that they haven’t read lots of books yet. But they can do a reading map drawing the characters, or writing ALL of the books they have read. Also, children are able to develop different skills as thinking, drawing, writing, memory and communication (with parents or friends). Children probably like the exercise because they don’t have a way to do it, they can do it however they want following the main rules. Finally, the teacher can organize how to show all of the maps to rest of the class with different ways, we have done it as a museum but you can do it as a game or as a quiz.

Behind an apparently easy and funny activity there are a lot of aims that a teacher could get with their children taking into account that all of them don’t paint or don’t write in the same way, but all of them are invited to think about it.

Now I invite you to see the best reading map that I have seen in my class, and also how was the experience with the museum.
 
 
Thank you, and see you soon!



Image and video hosting by TinyPic

1 comentario:

  1. Hello Laura!!
    I congratulate you for choosing this topic, because it is a novelty matter.

    On one hand, I agree with you, I consider that the reading map is a way to work with children to get the developing of their imagination (materials which they are going to use, the shape of their maps and so on.)
    In this activity can participate the whole family helping their children to remember the books which they have read and how their families started to foment the reading in students when they were babies or children.

    On the other hand, I disagree with your impressions about the reading map, because I think that it is a form to know and notice what were your reading process in your life and how can you improve it.
    From my point of view, the museumn is a fantastic plan, you can obervate the books which our partners like, and therefore, it can be the begining of a new stage of reading for you!!

    Bye!

    ResponderEliminar